Award-Winning, High Performing Learning Opportunities
One of the reasons that Rowan County is so appealing to businesses and residents alike is that it places a high priority on education, offering a mix of excellent public and private schools that help keep the talent pipeline flowing from elementary schooling to top-ranked higher education institutions.
K-12 – Public Education
Rowan-Salisbury School System has the goal to provide extraordinary learning experiences for its students. It is recognized nationally for its innovative approaches to teaching and learning AND is ranked in the ‘Top 10’ nationally for pioneering uses of technology in our classrooms for student success.
- RSSS provides STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) into curriculum from pre-K through grade 12 classrooms. In 2014, RSSS moved to One to One program which provides each student in grades K-12 with a personal iPad or laptop device.
- RSSS operates 12 Career Academies including an Advanced Manufacturing Academy that integrates engineering, robotics, and mechatronics enabling students to be prepared for multiple manufacturing careers as well as post-secondary programs.
- Rowan County Early College (RCEC) is structured to provide successful, challenging and meaningful experiences for students identified as high ability who are not yet reaching their potential, are first generation college, have financial need, are traditionally underserved in higher education, or would benefit from an accelerated academic program.
- Independent organizations like Partners in Education, Crosby Scholars, Communities in Schools and others provide needed support to address specific educational goals of the community.
- Find performance results for Rowan County public schools from the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction here or use a Charlotte Observer compiled database here.
Kannapolis City Schools surrounds one of the world’s premiere centers of scientific discovery: the NC Research Campus. It is an extraordinary school system offering an array of programs including Global Studies, Dual Language Immersion, A+ Arts program, innovative online learning, Culinary Arts, Engineering, Performing Arts, and more. It is one of only four NC school districts named to the College Board’s Advanced Placement Honor Roll.
K-12 Private Education
North Hills Christian School is a non-denominational college-preparatory Christian day school serving students in junior kindergarten (Jr. K) through high school (12th grade).
Sacred Heart Catholic School is a private, parochial school serving students in grades 1-8.
Salisbury Academy is an independent, co-educational school serving students in grades 1-8.
Salisbury Adventist School is a private, Christian school serving students in grades 1-8.
Continuing and Higher Education
Rowan County is home to 4 colleges – Rowan-Cabarrus Community College (RCCC), Catawba College, Livingstone College, and Hood Theological Seminary – which are home to over 20,000 students.
Rowan-Cabarrus Community College is one of the premier community colleges in the nation, with two campuses and more than 18,000 students. The College offers 32 degrees, 30 diplomas and 142 certificates and has a faculty to student ratio of 18 to one.
Career and College Promise high school students to dually enroll in community college courses, thus providing pathways leading to a certificate, diploma, or degree as well as providing entry-level job skills.
RCCC operates the North Carolina Manufacturing Institute, which works to close the manufacturing skills gap through workforce training and certification. It offers an 8-week training program leading to the Certified Production Technician Certificate. Scholarships are available and students are experiencing a 94% placement rate upon completion.
Catawba College is a private, liberal arts school offering 40 academic fields of study, including a strong science program, pre-professional programs, evening/adult programs and graduate studies.
Livingstone College is a private, historically black college affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Zion church. It offers degree programs in Business, Education and Social Work, Liberal Arts and Mathematics and Science. Livingstone also offers evening/adult programs.
Hood Theological Seminary – Hood Theological Seminary is a graduate and professional school that provides theological preparation for effective ministry in a diverse society.
Thank You To Our County and Municipal Partners.